The perfect apple pie: rich, flakey and full of fresh apples- just like mama made it!
It’s an American classic, a holiday staple, a pie to be enjoyed year round.
Because who the heck doesn’t love apple pie?
A fresh, simple & classic Apple Pie will make the perfect addition to your thanksgiving table or holiday feast!
Classic Apple Pie
- 6 apples, cored, peeled and thinly sliced (I used 3 Granny Smith & 3 honeycrisp)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest (optional)
- your favorite pie dough recipe OR 2 unbaked pie crusts
- Preheat oven to 450
- Combine apples, sugar, flour, spices & lemon zest, stir until apples are fully coated
- Line pie plate with pie crust, trim and use a fork to pinch pie crust to pie plate. Fill with apple filling
- Brush edges with cold water and place second pie crust on top of pie, pinch top to the bottom crust. Use a knife to make slits in top crust. You can also do a lattice pattern as shown in pictures, it makes for a beautiful pie with plenty of character! Once pattern is in place, trim excess and seal with water and a pastry brush.
- Bake for 10 mins, then lower baking temperature to 350 and cook for an additional 40 minutes
- Allow pie to cool completely before chowin’ down
PSSST… baking pies on a cookie sheet will keep things neat and tidy and help keep your pies safe from those pesky oven mitts!
Make one for yourself, family, friends and a neighbor because sharing is caring. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do!
Until next time 😊